Photo management and NSFW

For those who do not know what NSFW stands for: Not Safe For Work. It is used to mark pictures and videos that might get you in trouble when viewing at work.

I think I am not the only one who has pictures like this. My former co-workers will know what I mean when I say "Huettenwochenende". Well, those were with co-workers but they ARE on the pictures also. These are simply pictures of a bunch of people who had a lot of alcohol and we keep them to us.
I simply don't want them to accidentally pop up when I e.g. search for pictures of me.

What I want to be able to do is mark pictures as NSFW so they don't show up in any search. Only if I say that those should be visible now. And this should only last until I either say I don't want to include them any more or I close the software.

I basically used two photo management software so far.

digikam

I have to say that I love digikam. It is good software and can do almost everything I want to do. Until now there isn't a option to mark pictures as NSFW. Apparently there is now a option in 2.5.0 but I wasn't able to fund it yet. So it is either not as obvious or it simply not activated in the version I have. Will try to figure it out.

picasa 

Picasa actually has to ways to do it, both are not perfect 

Hide pictures

It is possible to click a picture and then hide it. When done like this the picture is hidden everywhere. So exactly as it should be. The trouble comes when you want to see the picture. You have to go to 'View' and select 'Hidden pictures'. The hidden pictures are then visible, BUT they are grayed. So to actually see them you have to also unhide them. When you are done you have to select them again and hide them.

Hide folders

You can hide folders. It is even possible to set a password so you don't accidentally make it visible. When you close picasa and open it again the folder is again hidden. So you don't have to remember to unhide them after you viewed those pictures, BUT it doesn't exclude the pictures in e.g. the people albums. So the pictures aren't really hidden.


Labels: ,